Friday, April 13, 2012

Hi there! I'm Sarah, the Shackled Chef.

Hello and welcome!  My name's Sarah, and today I started on the HCG diet.  I love to cook, and though I've never gone to culinary school, I'm a self-taught student of classic French cuisine and cooking techniques.

I can already tell that the major obstacle for me with this program is going to be the seriously short list of what we can eat.  How the heck am I supposed to saute anything without oil?  How do I make a decent pan sauce without wine or dairy? (NO, skim milk does NOT count as an ingredient. It doesn't even count as EDIBLE, in my book.)

And don't even talk to me about bread, rice, pasta and potatoes.  Leave me alone to mourn those in peace.

So that's why I called this blog "The Shackled Chef"...since I'm unable to use so many of my favorite ingredients and cooking styles, it almost feels like I'm in handcuffs in the kitchen.  I feel handicapped by the limitations of this program...but on the other hand, I have to admit I'm kind of looking forward to the challenge of finding tasty and creative ways to create satisfying meals from our tiny list of allowed ingredients!

My plan is to post a recipe or technique each day for the next 28 days, to hopefully share some ideas of not only what you can cook while staying within the confines of the program, but also some new ways of cooking that can help to make the same few ingredients new, different and delicious!

1 comment:

  1. this is seriously such a good idea you created this blog! I didn't know you knew a lot about French cuisine! I think this blog will def help keep you motivated! I love the name too! Very proud of you for being so optomistic! Keep it up and see you at our appointment!

    ReplyDelete